Mike Wolfberg's Recipe for Yogurt Soup
This is one of several recipes developed by Mike and his late wife, Julie,
for a Concord/Carlisle Massachusetts Newcomers Gourmet Group
took place in the first half of the 1970s.
This is a Turkish dish called Yala Chorbashi in Arabic.
It serves 8 (10-12). The figures in parentheses throughout
this recipe are optional 50% higher yield numbers.
- 1/2 (1/2) cup pearl barley
- 4 (5) cups chicken broth
- 2 (2 1/2) large onions, chopped
- 3 (4) TBL. butter
- 1 (1 1/4) tsp. dried mint
- 3/4 (1) tsp. dried parsley
- 1 (1 1/4) tsp. white pepper
- 2 (2 1/2) cups plain yogurt at room temperature
- Soak the barley overnight in water to cover.
- Next day, drain and simmer in the chicken broth for about 15 minutes
or until tender.
- Saute the onnions with about 1/3 of the salt in the butter until
transparent - about 5 minutes. Do not let the onions brown.
- Add the onions, mint, parsley, pepper, and the remaining salt to the broth and simmer for 30 minutes. Refrigerate.
- Just before serving time: reheat the soup to the boiling point.
Remove from the heat. In a bowl, mix a little of the hot broth into the
yogurt and then mix that in with the soup.