Mike Wolfberg's Recipe for Stuffed Grape Leaves with Lamb
This is one of several recipes developed by Mike and his late wife, Julie,
for a Concord/Carlisle Massachusetts Newcomers Gourmet Group
took place in the first half of the 1970s.
This is an Arab States dish called Dolmates in Arabic.
This recipe is for a cocktail party, yielding about 50 cocktail size
- 50 grape leaves (approx.)
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. powdered aniseed
- 2 tsp. dried spearmint
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- Blanch the grape leaves for 2-3 minutes in boiling water, drain and cool.
- Combine all the ingredients except the leaves and broth.
- Put approximately 1 tsp. of filling on each leaf (use 2 leaves
if necessary), dull side up, and fold like an envelope. Fold loosely,
as the filling will swell.
- Place in a buttered skillet, folded side down. Cover with the broth.
Place a plate on the dolmates, so they will not unwrap. Bring to a boil,
and then simmer slowly for 35-40 minutes.